Cymru North: Rhyl record biggest league win in seven seasons, Prestatyn move 12 points clear

Rhyl (white) apply pressure on Llanfair goal. Picture: James Curran

Rhyl 7 Llanfair United 1

Rhyl secured their biggest league win in seven seasons as they swept aside Llanfair United 7-1 at the Educate Group Stadium on Saturday.

Not since storming to a 6-0 triumph at Penrhyncoch in the 22nd of their invincible 30-game 2012/13 title-winning Huws Gray Alliance campaign had the Lilywhites recorded such a big league victory.

That was 216 league matches ago – and it was another Mid-Wales outfit who were put to the sword at the weekend.

The breakthrough came in the 24th minute when a cleared ball fell to Aaron Hassall on the left and he calmly finished to put the hosts ahead.

Six minutes later a James Murphy free kick was floated into the box and captain Ben Nash evaded defenders to head home.

The visitors sought a way back into the game and Ryan McVeagh was unlucky when he rattled the crossbar.

Just before half time it was Rhyl’s Hassall who struck the goal frame and then Mark Richards saved the follow-up shot.

Half-time: Rhyl 2 Llanfair 0

The Lilies managed to extend their lead in the 51st minute when another Murphy free kick enabled Nash to beat the visitors’ attempts to play the offside trap and apply the finish.

Bottom side Llanfair had a route back into the game in the 60th minute when Paul Griffiths’ fine strike evaded Rory Crowther to give the travellers hope.

That all soon changed when substitute Tom Weir, a recent addition from Connah’s Quay Nomads, was played through and the youngster had the composure to steady himself, draw the keeper and calmly stroke the ball home to put Rhyl 4-1 ahead.

The next 10 minutes were the Tom Creamer show as the young player displayed his growing confidence with a fine hat-trick.

In the 69th minute Creamer’s fine left-footed drive went past Richards to put Rhyl 5-1 up.

Creamer grabbed his second in the 75th minute and soon added a third from a penalty awarded for a foul on Sam Molyneux.

Buckley Town 0 Prestatyn Town 5

Ian Griffiths celebrates one of his two goals at Buckley. Picture: John Pickles

A rampant Prestatyn moved 12 points clear at the top after taking Buckley to the cleaners at Globe Way.

Neil Gibson’s side took the lead in the very first minute. From a Ben Maher free kick played in low Jordan Davies took a touch, turned and rifled past the keeper from the edge of the box.

The Seasiders had several other close calls before in the 36th minute Dan Roberts lost his marker from a Maher corner and scored with a bullet header to make it 2-0 at half time.

A great team move ended with Davies setting up Jack Kenny to tap home the third.

Ian Griffiths came on as a 70th minute and it was he who notched the final two goals.

Three minutes into added time, the striker rounded the keeper for number four and he soon added Town’s fifth.

Rest of the League

Joe Chaplin, on loan from Colwyn Bay, proved his worth by nabbing an 83rd minute winner on his debut for Gresford Athletic in a 2-1 success against visitors Penrhyncoch.

Jordan MacCarter edged the Colliers in front on 55 minutes, only for Steffan Davies to level on 62.

Kevin Evans put Ruthin Town one-up at Colwyn Bay early in the second half, but the Seagulls hit back to win 2-1 thanks to late goals from Will Bell and Julian Williams.

Robbie Parry’s 28th minute penalty was enough to clinch Llandudno a 1-0 outcome in a dour encounter at Porthmadog.

On Friday night, Bangor City saw off Llangefni Town 3-1 at Nantporth in a game where all the goals arrived in the second period.

Simone Rea, Emmanuel Agyemang and Francesco Serafino provided the home net-finders, Alun Roberts for Cefni.

Postponed: Conwy Borough v Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, Corwen v Guilsfield.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: