Welsh National League: Holywell make it 12 unbeaten, cup joy for Albion and Mold

Luke Edwards celebrates his opener for Holywell at Castell Alun. Picture: Lee Douglas

Holywell Town moved up to second in the Welsh National League Premier Division with a 3-0 success at rock-bottom Castell Alun Colts.

The unbeaten Wellmen boosted their stats to 10 wins and two draws from 12 league games and are now just a point behind Cefn Albion with three matches in hand.

In those 12 Premier outings, Johnny Haseldin’s side have kept eight clean sheets and boast the joint tightest defence in leagues across North Wales with just six goals conceded.

Town very nearly took a first-minute lead at Castell, now without a point in 16 matches, when debutant Mike Walsh’s low drive was saved by Adam Thomas.

Castell rallied and created a couple of chances, the best falling to Robert Darlington whose shot went wide of Mike Platt’s post.

Mark Connolly, Sam Jones and Dylan Allshorn all had openings before the break but it stayed 0-0 up to half time.

Luke Edwards (furthest right) drills home for Holywell. Picture: Lee Douglas

With the game an hour old, the deadlock was finally broken. Connolly burst down the left, his cross towards Sam Jones was headed clear, but on the edge of the box Luke Edwards’ fierce drive made it 1-0.

Jake Cooke’s header rattled the crossbar with the keeper beaten before the home side were reduced to 10 men as Stuart Williams was shown a straight red card for kicking out at Jacob Wise.

Manager Haseldin then brought on new signing Alec Williams for Allshorn. Former Prestatyn Town man Williams did not take long to make his mark as he made it 2-0 with 72 minutes on the clock.

Debutant Williams received a ball on the edge of the box, controlled and fired home, much to the delight of the Wellmen supporters behind that goal.

Town went close through Connolly and Jones before Edwards grabbed his second and the team’s third.

Williams fed the ball through to Connolly, whose fierce drive hit the goalkeeper and from the rebound Edwards was on hand to find the net.

Rest of the Premier

Chirk AAA celebrated their first league win of the season at the 12th attempt as they pipped visitors Saltney Town 3-2.

Joe Roberts (2) and a super long-ranger from Ryan Leightwood sealed it for the Colliers, Elliot Bond and Jake Gibbons replying.

Luke Taylor’s net-finder and an own goal secured Llay Welfare a 2-1 victory at Brickfield Rangers.

Oli Crimp’s goal for Llanuwchllyn was not enough to save his side from a 2-1 home loss to Penycae.

Plas Madoc v Rhydymwyn ended 2-2.

Mikey Jones and Liam Sklenar (pen) provided the Plas goals, Kyle Harte and Danny Wynne for Rhyd.

Premier Division League Cup

Rhostyllen 2 Cefn Albion 5

Holders Albion advanced to the semis with a 5-2 triumph at Rhostyllen.
Jimmy Jones (3), Torne-Lee Samuels and Alex Samuels delivered the away goals, Aaron Edwards and Lewis Clamp replying for the hosts.

Mold Alexandra 2 FC Queen’s Park 1

Connor Kendrick and Danny Warren found the net for Alex, Barry Torrence’s heavily deflected effort keeping the Park in the contest.

After what they considered a below par display in a 2-1 league defeat at Llay Welfare the previous weekend, the Park felt they performed much better at Mold.

The visitors started brightly and new signing Curtis Neary fitted nicely into his central midfield role, looking a force to be reckoned with next to Sean Dodd.

Both wingers were finding lots of space in behind and Aled Powell was unlucky as he went around the keeper only to be caught out by the angle.

Torrence started to pull the strings and was unlucky as he unleashed a first time volley from outside the area.

Mold struck on the break to take the lead through Kendrick, but the Park responded well and a wonder strike by Neary crashed against the bar and the Alex keeper pulled off a remarkable save from Edgar Lima.

Just as the half was drawing to a close, Warren made it 2-0 to Mold somewhat against the flow of play.

The Park lads were devastated at half time but were all told to keep their heads up and keep doing the right things in the right areas.

After a number of subs the visitors again went close with new signing Alan Huxley’s strike smothered by the keeper.

With the Park desperate for a goal Torrence let fly and a deflection past the keeper made it 2-1.

The Park pressed for an equaliser and in the dying seconds Jason Edwards sent a good header just over the bar. Mold always looked capable of adding a third in the latter stages.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: