Welsh Alliance: Denbigh and Hotspur finish level, Felinheli and Pen still boss Division Two

Denbigh Town (red) on the attack against Holyhead Hotspur. All DTFC pictures are taken by Roy Gunther and Stephen Whitfield

Welsh Alliance Division One leaders Holyhead Hotspur fought back from two goals down to force a 2-2 draw at chief title rivals Denbigh Town and maintain their eight-point lead at the summit.

The home side had the best of starts with an early goal after only three minutes. It came via a deft lob from Dan Lloyd to Mark Roberts, who headed backwards for Jacob Barratt to flick in superbly from 10 yards with Hotspur keeper Carl Jones stranded.

Holyhead responded well and went on to dominate most of the first half play with plenty of possession.

Nevertheless, it was Denbigh who scored next when a through ball to Mark Roberts saw him beat the offside trap and dribble round Jones to give the hosts a two-goal lead on 24 minutes.

However, it was not long before Holyhead’s pressure told and on 31 minutes from a Hotspur free kick just inside the Denbigh half, the ball was sent into the penalty area. The Town clearance fell to Luke Roberts who fired in from 12 yards, giving keeper Joe Griffith no chance.

A minute later Griffith performed marvels to keep out a vicious 14-yard shot from Chris Jones.

The second half saw Denbigh solidify and get more of the ball. The game was more even and became a feisty affair with referee Robin Williams brandishing his yellow cards to players on both teams.

Stunning goalmouth action from Denbigh v Hotspur. The ball is right at the top of the photo. Pics: Stephen Whitfield/Roy Gunther

Holyhead looked the more dangerous as the game progressed, and on 76 minutes Deian Parry finished clinically from 12 yards to give the visitors their equaliser.

Barratt had a great chance to make it 3-2 to Denbigh, but his strike was off target.

Holyhead will be the more pleased with the outcome as it strengthens their position as league leaders and means they have taken four points in the two fixtures this season over Denbigh.

Rest of the Division One action

Dean Redmond’s 46th-minute strike was enough to secure Bodedern Athletic a 1-0 victory over visitors Greenfield.

Ben Jarvis’ 87th minute goal sealed Glan Conwy the 2-1 win over Llanrug United which edged the Cae Ffwt outfit into third spot.

Keating Hoe Pike scored early for the hosts before Carl Griffiths levelled on 70 minutes.

Llandudno Albion in fourth eased to a 4-1 success at Blaenau Amateurs, Joe Carey (2), Adam Hold and Dave Maddock sharing the goals, Bryn Humphreys responding.

Dylan Parry and Tomos Saynor were on target as Llanberis defeated St Asaph City 2-0, while a last-gasp net-finder from Liam Jones bagged Penrhyndeudraeth a 1-0 verdict at Llandyrnog United.

Callum Parry (second right – fists clenched) scored another two for Llanrwst. Picture: Heath Roberts

Nantlle Vale and Llanrwst United shared a 2-2 draw at Maes Dulyn. The prolific Callum Parry notched two more goals for his collection to make it 23 in the league and 34 in all competitions, however, Dion Roberts and Cai Henshaw ensured the Vale got a point.

Prestatyn Sports picked up a welcome point in a 3-3 outcome against Mynydd Llandegai.

Shane Middleman and a double from Ian Dunn, including a 90th minute equaliser, salvaged some reward for Sports, Ian Owen, Gavin Owen and Liam Willighan hitting back for the visitors.

Division Two

Y Felinheli and Penmaenmawr Phoenix share top spot on 33 points apiece.

Rhys Parry, Iwan Owen and Carwyn Dafydd were Felin’s goal-getters in a 3-0 win over Aberffraw which keeps the victors in first position on goal difference.

Pen won 3-0 at Amlwch, Mike Lundstram and a Alfie Caldecott pair sealing the spoils.

Barmouth and Dyffryn were very impressive in their 4-1 home beating of Gwalchmai. Stephen Bratt, Rob Murfet, Rob Owen and Bobby Griffiths notched a goal apiece for Bermo, Mark Jones replying.

Llandudno Amateurs and Llandudno Junction were involved in a 3-3 thriller. Luke Mahoney, David Sharp and Joe Jones were the Amateurs hitmen, Curtis Cooper (2) and Jack Williams for the Railwaymen.

Llannefydd caned Mochdre Sports 5-1 away, Brad Jones (2), Ynyr Clwyd, Tudur Jones and Luke Appleby’s first goal since his transfer from Ruthin, supplying the away efforts, Gareth Jones netting for the home side.

Gaerwen won their island derby at Pentraeth 4-1, Gethin Davies, Iwan Williams, Sean Pritchard and Chris Bennett (pen) all on the mark for the visitors, Rees Roberts (pen) with the home response.

Kinmel Bay were unable to raise a team for their trip to Pwllheli.

Reserves Division

Hari Gwilym scored his second hat-trick in successive games as Colwyn Bay Reserves moved to within two points of league leaders Denbigh Town Reserves by beating them 3-2 at the 4 Crosses Arena.

Goals from Sion Davies and Owen Heath ran Denbigh close.

Llanrug United were impressive 3-0 winners at Penmaenmawr Phoenix, Robin Whiteside Thomas, Sheldon Davies and Ben Owen their marksmen.

Jamie Jones’ hat-trick earned St Asaph City a superb 3-1 win over champions Porthmadog, Rob Jones for the visitors.

Cai Kearney’s late leveller secured Llanrwst United a 1-1 draw with Nantlle Vale, who led through Huw Jones.

Mathew Edwards, Kurt Hellfeld and Huw Davies were net-finders for Llanberis in their 3-1 verdict at Kinmel Bay, Tom Dodd the home hitman.

On Friday night, Llangefni Town overcame Pwllheli 3-1, Steve Jones, Keenan Latham and an own goal with the home tally, Rhys Williams for the travelling side.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: