Football

FAW set to change policy and make national cup draws live

FAW chief executive Noel Mooney says moves are in motion to conduct national cup draws in Welsh football live.

This follows a public outcry when it was confirmed last month that draws for competitions like the men’s and women’s Welsh Cups and FAW Amateur Trophy are often recorded days before they are broadcast.

The FAW was forced to defend the integrity of the Welsh Cup after concerns were raised over a ‘leaked’ draw.

A fourth round draw many expected to be shown live on November 27 actually took place at least 48 hours before.

Details of some fixtures for the last 16 of the association’s flagship competition emerged on social media a couple of days prior to the draw going out on the FAW website’s RedWall+ channel.

The FAW promised an investigation into how the draw was ‘leaked’. Apparently only certain partners and stakeholders are aware of draw content before it is released to the public.

Flint Town United chairman Darryl Williams said the whole episode brought the integrity of the 148-year-old Welsh Cup into question.

Confirming draws are recorded and not live, the FAW said this happens to create enough time to compile a ‘show’ on Red Wall+ featuring not just the draw, but also associated features such as club interviews and profiles, as well as graphics.

FAW chief executive Noel Mooney

Chief officer Mooney said today on social media that the angry response from many quarters to the draw not being live has prompted a rethink of the process.

He stated: “It’s no mystery that we are always striving to improve and we do this by listening to the people that matter – clubs & supporters. 

“We tried to create a nice quality production so this takes some work (and money!) but it’s clear that we should move this to ‘live’ ….so we are working with broadcasters to get it done. 

“See it, say it, sorted (as they say).”

davenwsport

Recent Posts

CHIRK CC: Heard about the cricket match that lasted just 63 balls and involved a total of just 33 runs?

Hat-trick: This is how Chirk's paceman Andrew Swarbrick made it three wickets in three balls.…

17 hours ago

Reports: CPD Boded hit eight, six for Bont and Mountain Rangers edge tight derby

CPD Boded (purple kit) take on Bontnewydd. Pictures: MATT JOHNSON - huge thanks SATURDAY, MAY…

18 hours ago

CRICKET: Liverpool and District Competition – Colwyn Bay blitz their way to 10-wicket victory

Jack Parry was a five-wicket hero for Colwyn Bay. Picture: RAY HIBBS LIVERPOOL AND DISTRICT…

20 hours ago

North Wales Cricket Premier: First win for champions Bangor, Menai Bridge clear at top, Evan Williams hits maiden ton for Saints

Brymbo line up before taking on St Asaph on Saturday. Picture: DANIEL PURDIE NORTH WALES…

21 hours ago

Asa Thomas wins Bob Brodie Trophy for third time in four seasons

Asa Thomas scored for CPD Boded against Bontnewydd today. Picture: MATT JOHNSON - many thanks…

23 hours ago

ALL THE WINNERS – NORTH WALES SENIOR FOOTBALL ROLL OF HONOUR 2025-26

Welsh Cup winners 2025-26 Caernarfon Town. Picture: FAW NORTH WALES FOOTBALL ROLL OF HONOUR 2025-26…

2 days ago